at·ti·tude (t-td, -tyd)
1. A position of the body or manner of carrying oneself: stood in a graceful attitude. See Synonyms at posture.
a. A state of mind or a feeling; disposition: had a positive attitude about work.
b. An arrogant or hostile state of mind or disposition.
3. The orientation of an aircraft’s axes relative to a reference line or plane, such as the horizon.
4. The orientation of a spacecraft relative to its direction of motion.
5. A position similar to an arabesque in which a ballet dancer stands on one leg with the other raised either in front or in back and bent at the knee.
[French, from Italian attitudine, from Late Latin aptitd, aptitdin-, faculty; see aptitude.]
atti·tudi·nal (-tdn-l, -tyd-) adj.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
1. the way a person thinks and behaves
2. a position of the body
3. Informal a hostile manner
4. the orientation of an aircraft or spacecraft in relation to some plane or direction [Latin aptus apt]
Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006
ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Noun 1. attitude – a complex mental state involving beliefs and feelings and values and dispositions to act in certain ways; “he had the attitude that work was fun”
Currently, I am working on my own attitude, and worrying about my son’s. Won’t say much as I’m muddled, to say the least. Said goodbye to an old friend this week. She was 41, with two teenage sons. Here she is, Helen, in her prime, in my journal…
Look at that smile! This girl had attitude in spades! She had a kind heart, too. It upset me much more than I’d expected when I saw this lovely photo of her on the Order of Service at her funeral on Friday. We had drifted apart over the last 3 years or so. I’d bumped into her once or twice & we’d been pleased to see each other. I can’t remember ever having a cross word with her, which is quite remarkable, in 21 years. Our sons were born 2 days apart & spent a lot of time together as they grew up… There we are, you see I need to go & create this page!
Go tell a friend that you love them!
My Love to You All xXx